Friday, May 25, 2007

Road Trip To California - Day 4 (Green River, UT to Grand Canyon, AZ)





After a late night of driving, we woke up to a beautiful scene of nowhere... haha, I drove for about 2 hours on a pitch black highway last night, just wondering what was around me... I saw pretty much any star in the sky that I wanted but could not make out what was around me. This morning, I found that I was simply surrounded by lots of desert and towering rocks, similar to that of stalagmite in a cave... It's pretty crazy. Dad and I drove through this for quite a few hours... (well, really I slept for about 4 or 5 hours off and on while Dad drove)... I woke up intermittently to see more rock and more desert here and there..

We stopped at Bryce Canyon National Park in southern Utah which is where two of the pictures were taken (driving through the rock and the rail). I walked up to astonishing open spaces with giant rock formations all around as I peered into Bryce Canyon... I snuck off for a little bit off the trail to take some pictures and hang my feet off the edge... I reminisced of a Fall Creek Falls trip when I was about 8 or so with my Mom and Justin (my bro) and his friend (Michael Smith). Justin and Michael (or "Hamburger" as they called him) hung their feet off the edge of a bluff above a green canopy of trees roughly 400 feet below them... (to which Mom yelled for them to be safe and/or scoot back from the edge)... I remember I wanted so bad to go to the edge with them... to be a big kid, ya know? Haha, anyway, my experience was similar to theirs, except for the bottom surface was reddish-orange rock? I wondered what it would be like to be a bird... you know... to be able to fly around in all that... I know it's cliche, but hey...(similar to the day before)...

Dad and I (really I while he slept) raced through the base of Utah into Arizona to try and catch the sunset at the Grand Canyon... (Seriously, I do not believe I turned once in 20-minute stretch going about 80 mph... the roads were a bit boring)... We ventured through I think the Navajo Indian reservation, passed up the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and reached an overlook for the South Rim with about 20 minutes to spare; it was amazing! I read one of David's psalms about nature and God... I looked around and in the giant amount of space, I felt, "God is bigger than this?" I was blown away... Never before have I really ever looked at an expanse this huge and tried to compare it to God... It's amazing that the Grand Canyon doesn't even compare at all... It was a neat experience....

Well, later on that night, we caught up with Will Butler and his sister and stayed the night at one of the lodges on the South Rim... (it was a bit of an ordeal meeting up, b/c there was no cell phone service and little prior plannning)... All in all, the day was filled with huge amounts of beautiful open spaces, large expanses of desert, rock, and open air, and a lot of driving (about 11 hours to be exact)... Peace!!

No comments: